Since the retirement of Michael Jordan, I've pretty much only followed two spectator sports teams: my beloved Green Bay Packers and Wisconsin Badgers. Technically, it's three teams, since I follow Wisconsin football and basketball, but essentially it's all the same: same songs, same shirts, same Wisconsin pride. Recently, I have added Liverpool FC, which plays the other kind of football, but I have always been troubled by the fact that I don't really know how I became a fan. I have little chance of ever seeing them play, I have no connections to Great Britain, and I only know two other people who are fans here in the United States. I suppose the best explanation is FIFA 07, for Xbox, which is a little upsetting.
Also inexplicable is my desire for a second soccer team to cheer for. However, my Liverpool alliegance prevents me from choosing a Premiership team, and Liverpool's stature as a European giant prevents me from choosing another big team, like Juventus or Barcelona, in case they played each other in the Champions League. However, this trip to Europe has given me the opportunity to see soccer teams that have no chance of ever playing Liverpool and I believe I have found my new team.
Enter: Bohemians 1905. Finally, I have found a soccer team that I have valid reasons for liking. Bohemians 1905 is a Prague based team that competes in the Gambrinus Liga, th

e highest level of Czech soccer (reason 1: local to where I'm staying). Bohemians 1905 is not to be confused with Bohemians Praha, another team in the Gambrinus Liga, from Prague no less, which share the same colors and emblem. Wait, what? Yeah, it turns out that several years ago the team went bankrupt, was demoted to the second league, and sold it's brand to another team in Prague to get money. Which brings us to reason 2for liking them. Eventually the fans got together and bought the team, so, like my Packers, the team is entirely fan owned, which is way cool and is reason enough to adopt this team. Getting back to the colors and mascot; reason 3, they play in green which is another link to the Pack and their mascot is reason 4: a kangaroo. Many years ago the team went on a tour of Australia and were given kangaroos as gifts. They donated the marsupials to the Prague Zoo, but kept them as their mascot.
So now all I have to do is see a game. Of course, they haven't had any home games while I've been able to visit Prague, but there is a chance on September 12 to see them in Prauge. Of course, this means that I'll have to choose between seeing Salzburg, Austria, or seeing Bohemians play. Looks like we'll get to see exactly what kind of fan I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment