Sunday, August 16, 2009

Running Around

In only a few short months, I had forgotten that the best way to get to know an area is to go running. I'll blame this on showing up to my summer job in Creede, CO (altitude 8800 feet) already out of shape. I also managed to lose my running shoes while there, which certainly didn't help the cause. But today I dragged myself out of my apartment for a little jaunt and was rewarded for exploring a mountain biking trail system behind the observatory. The trails lead to a large open field and a lovely sound-of-music like view of the Bohemian country side. The fields are dotted by forests and the red clay tiled roofs of several villages. My next goal is to explore the villages around Ondrejov, which really aren't all that far away. This will also help offset the beergut I will inevitably start growing. It's starting to get bad, as the largest setting on my belt is now feeling tight; the pants still fit, but it may only be a matter of time before I have to walk around Europe with the button undone.

Also related to running, I'm getting extremely excited for my trip to Berlin on Tuesday to see the World Championships of Track. Eurosport, a German language tv channel I get, has total coverage of the meet, qualification rounds and all. They are literally showing everything. Apart from the run, I have not left my apartment today; my eyes have been glued to the tv watching the incredibly gorgeous heptathletes. My favorite is Brianne Theisen from Canada, but several of the European athletes are just drop dead gorgeous as well as amazing competitors.
So Team USA looks good, I'm going to get to see what should be the second Gay-Bolt showdown in the 200m finals, barring a disaster. Also, I get to see the Mens steeple, 400H, 1500, 110H finals, 200 and 400 semis, and 800 and 5k heats and the women's 800, 400, HJ finals.
I didn't bring an USA clothing, since I wouldn't wear it anywhere besides Berlin, and I had a USA flag pin but I forgot it back home, so I'll have to find a flag or something to wave around. From the looks of the tv, I'm going to have to contend with a lot of Deutsch bags and commies, who both have a large fan contingent. Looking forward to a redux of the 4th of July's Mmerican chants.

No comments:

Post a Comment